About

Welcome to the world wide headquarters for Monster Kolor. This interactive community is a place for all who are interested in the custom painting of toys of all kinds. Feel free to look around, but I encourage you to join in.

 

Members

Events

Share Us !

Featured Member


 

Groups

Sponsors

Monster Kolor Application Instructions

1. Wipe figure down 2-3 times with 70% rubbing alcohol THROUGHLY ! (even in the hard to reach areas) No Primer Required.


2 Pour color directly into airbrush..For brighter color application shake up & spray white base as your first coat and then layer your colors on top of the white.

3. Layer your colors in sequence from light to dark. Example : White,Yellow,Orange,Blue, Purple,etc
Color can be poured back into bottle to eliminate waste

4. After Colors are applied now you can add specialty paints direct over paints. Example : Pearls,Flakes,etc

Note : the colors will appear dull in appearence up to this point. Dont worry this is correct.


5. Clear Coat : Use in a well ventilated area! Must use an OSHA approved respirator while spraying. This is a 2 component system. It is mixed 2:1 ( 2 parts clear 1 part activator) . Mix small amount with mixing cup provided. For micro mixture please mix 1 part clear ½ part activator.

NOTE: If you are using matte clear coat use one light coat to achieve matte effect. If you apply heavy coats it will want to look glossy.


Usually, 1 coat of clear is all that’s required for the desired gloss level. If you chose to do 2 coats please allow 15 minutes wait time before 2nd coat of clear application.

6. Place figure in a dust free environment at 60 degrees or warmer for 24 hours to cure.

7. If your going to store Monster Kolor for a long period of time between uses I recommend placing the cap plugs back into the bottles to avoid air getting into the bottle and possibly evaporating the solvents out of the paint.

Views: 5454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Total nerd and militantly proud of the nerdiness. I think we should show no shame about being caught up in some of the finer aspects of whatever it is that the "art of toy" brings out in us; for Matt and I, sometimes it brings out a love for Chemistry. ...uh..dude..total nerd. Anybody painting sofubi is going to have to bump heads with the Color Wheel and Color Theory- nerd. Resin and molding junkies eventually realize that they actually enjoy being frustrated by technique regarding problems they are trying to overcome in the process- nerd. Research and experimentation is a huuuge part of my vinyl experience, but I'd say high-minded education tops the list. Straight up learnin' about all kinds of stuff. Most vinyl people I've met are like this, and that's what makes the painters and toy peoples just as interesting as the things they create.

It truly is an excellent example of high-minded counterculture, and definitely a counterculture I am quite proud to be involved in.

Throw some color down!

pd





Dead Presidents said:

Nicely Said PD ! The lacquer thinner you get at your home center aint worth a damn. The thinner / reducer game can be a complex one. 

A high temp range written on side of can will mean slower drying = nice paint flow.

I could talk about this all night :0

Paperdaniel said:

Sir Tony,

Man there are some crummy lacquer thinners. Like paint itself, there are varying degrees of quality. It is mainly a case of filtering and storage prior to packaging. I'm not nerdy enough to fully comprehend it, but I'd like to be. In the meantime, I get most of my questions about this crap answered by old dudes who've been painting hot-rods, lows, diggers, and baggers. Man do those folks know all kinds of shit.
I don't wanna slander anybodies crummy thinner brand, so I won't diss or recommend any brand..but if you ask around on here, you'll see that people have their faves. Matt says MK now has a Universal Reducer. I'm sure it rocks.

PD




Tony Mora said:

What is a high quality lacquer thinner?

So after a 6-7 month hiatus from painting, I have pulled out all my paint (climate controlled closet in my hobby room) and am disappointed to find that most of my monster kolor is hard as a rock. I had topped all my paint off with extra thinner before packing it up and the Mr. Color and Alclad came through just fine. 

What can I do in the future to keep my Monstor Kolor in good shape if I need to store it for a prolonged period? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the paint. and will continue using it, but being that I'm living off my GI bill and what few side jobs I can fit in between school and family, I cant afford to replace paint on a regular basis. Thanks for your input!

Hi Robert,
So many variables on why your mk dried up.

Email me at monsterkolor@gmail.com and I'm pretty sure I can send out replacements to you.

Robert Crockett said:

So after a 6-7 month hiatus from painting, I have pulled out all my paint (climate controlled closet in my hobby room) and am disappointed to find that most of my monster kolor is hard as a rock. I had topped all my paint off with extra thinner before packing it up and the Mr. Color and Alclad came through just fine. 

What can I do in the future to keep my Monstor Kolor in good shape if I need to store it for a prolonged period? I LOVE LOVE LOVE the paint. and will continue using it, but being that I'm living off my GI bill and what few side jobs I can fit in between school and family, I cant afford to replace paint on a regular basis. Thanks for your input!

Anyone have a suggestion for a good spray booth?

 A lot of painters use Artograph spray booth vented to the outside.

Keep us posted on what you get !



MarshallPlex said:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good spray booth?
Thanks for that suggestion! It's maybe a little too pricey for me at this point but I'm considering it. Do you think there is a big difference between this booth and some of the more common portable booths I see on eBay? Like this one for instance http://bit.ly/1dbMwV2

That one will work ok except when you spray the clear coat. Sometimes these type of booths struggle to exhaust the clear coat overspray. Some painters have fixed this by changing out the filter to a coarser one to allow the overspray to go through filter easier. Keep us posted on what you get for sure !

MarshallPlex said:

Thanks for that suggestion! It's maybe a little too pricey for me at this point but I'm considering it. Do you think there is a big difference between this booth and some of the more common portable booths I see on eBay? Like this one for instance http://bit.ly/1dbMwV2

I just got one similar and it works pretty well. It came with a double filter for when your not using the exhaust tube and if you take it down to the one coarser filter it seems to pull the clear coat ok. I defiantly still wear my mask when spraying with it though. I was going to build up a better one but for the $60 it was to good a deal to pass up and save my girlfriend from yelling at me about the smell! lol

Dead Presidents said:

That one will work ok except when you spray the clear coat. Sometimes these type of booths struggle to exhaust the clear coat overspray. Some painters have fixed this by changing out the filter to a coarser one to allow the overspray to go through filter easier. Keep us posted on what you get for sure !

MarshallPlex said:

Thanks for that suggestion! It's maybe a little too pricey for me at this point but I'm considering it. Do you think there is a big difference between this booth and some of the more common portable booths I see on eBay? Like this one for instance http://bit.ly/1dbMwV2

sweet thanks guys! I'll will let you know what I end up deciding on. :) luckily today wasnt too cold out so I brought the airbrush outside and used up a lot of clear coat! Going to need more very soon.

Are there color swatches and/or PMS values for the paints and dyes?

Thanks for posting this my first order of Monster Kolor Paints should be here today and i should be painting tonight or tomorrow. I cant wait.

Whats a good PSI to start off with?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dead Presidents.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics