About

Welcome to the world wide headquarters for Monster Kolor. This interactive community is a place for all who are interested in the custom painting of toys of all kinds. Feel free to look around, but I encourage you to join in.

Members

Events

Share Us !

Featured Member

Groups

Sponsors

Aqua-Resin, anyone sculpt with this or a similar sculpting resin?

Recently the pieces I created were originally sculpted using Smooth-on's Free Form Earth sculpting epoxy.  So so to work with not the safest thing to use, either.  Clay is a bit of a fallback for me but I wanted to try out Aqua-Resin but wasn't sure if anyone's had any success using this.

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Toyman,

I have not sculpted with aqua resin, but I do have a few suggestions. I currently use and love Aves Apoxie sculpt. Its a two part apoxie similar to plumbers compound. It has a limited work time and then you can add or subtract from whatever you are sculpting.  Aves is very durable, which I find ideal. I have dropped sculpts before and have no fear with aves!

There is also wax. I have messed around with castaline and CX5 . These two waxes are amazing to sculpt with but not to mold , hah.

Anyway, just my input here. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks for the suggestions!  The only wax I've worked with was the green jewelers wax I used waayy back in my metalsmithing class in art school.  Stuff was killer to work with but I can see how it wouldn't be too practical to work with for many of the pieces I want to sculpt / cast.

I have a feeling this will be an ongoing trial and error process.  My one concern with using clay is molding - I'm a bit concerned that it's not too durable and if there's any problems with de-molding the clay that could result in breakage.

This is exactly why I use aves. I never have to worry about molding things I have sculpted with aves. Its so durable and easy to work with. Also, sculpey/super sculpey might be something worth checking out to . It dries with heat, so you can work on something for awhile and when you are ready can nuke it.

Toyman said:

Thanks for the suggestions!  The only wax I've worked with was the green jewelers wax I used waayy back in my metalsmithing class in art school.  Stuff was killer to work with but I can see how it wouldn't be too practical to work with for many of the pieces I want to sculpt / cast.

I have a feeling this will be an ongoing trial and error process.  My one concern with using clay is molding - I'm a bit concerned that it's not too durable and if there's any problems with de-molding the clay that could result in breakage.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dead Presidents.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics