About

Welcome to the world wide headquarters for Monster Kolor. This interactive community is a place for all who are interested in the custom painting of toys of all kinds. Feel free to look around, but I encourage you to join in.

Members

Events

Share Us !

Featured Member

Groups

Sponsors

What would forum members recommend for someone who has never airbrushed or painted vinyl figures before? For example, what would be a fairly basic, but complete, recommended beginner's start-up kit? This would include the gun, compressor, hood or ventilation considerations, and everything else that you would need to get started with a "complete" kit, including basic paint colors you should have on hand (to apply directly or for mixing), primers, thinners, brushes, and any other equipment that you should have readily available for a good experience. Brand recommendations welcomed, except we know which brand of paint to use. Beyond beginner start-up recommendations, maybe someone could also suggest moderate and advanced level kits, so folks could choose based on their experience level and/or disposal income.

Views: 982

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yay! I'm not the only virgin on these forums!

Thanks everyone for this useful discussion. I'm still strictly a brush painter because the initial cost & learning curve on airbrushing intimidates me (I paint out out necessity more than desire).

That will change once you get an airbrush. ;)

Bryan K Borgman said:

...I paint out out necessity more than desire

Hello, Im new here and have yet to bust my MK cherry. I havent gotten an airbrush yet. I was looking at the Iwata Eclipse, but the price is a little out of my range at the moment. Would this one be a good one for a beginner, its still an Iwata:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Iwata-Madea-NEO-BCN-Siphon-N2000-NIB-/39030...

Yes, that should be fine. Just double check that it has a teflon needle packing for use with Monster Kolor (solvent base) I'm pretty sure that MK bottles screw right onto the siphon tube too for easier use.

turboPISTOLA said:

Hello, Im new here and have yet to bust my MK cherry. I havent gotten an airbrush yet. I was looking at the Iwata Eclipse, but the price is a little out of my range at the moment. Would this one be a good one for a beginner, its still an Iwata:

Thanks, I'm having trouble finding that info. Is it better to get one thats gravity fed?

Dead Presidents said:
Yes, that should be fine. Just double check that it has a teflon needle packing for use with Monster Kolor (solvent base) I'm pretty sure that MK bottles screw right onto the siphon tube too for easier use.

turboPISTOLA said:

I'm 99% sure it has a teflon packing. I use gravity fed airbrushes because I can use a tiny amount of paint. With siphon fed bottles it can become a pain when you start to run low (bottom of bottle) They both work fine. The eclipse your looking at has a .5 needle in it. Perfect for MK clear coat.

turboPISTOLA said:
Thanks, I'm having trouble finding that info. Is it better to get one thats gravity fed?

Dead Presidents said:

turboPISTOLA said:

That makes sense. What about the Iwata revolution?

http://cgi.ebay.com/IWATA-Revolution-HP-AR-Gravity-Feed-AIRBRUSH-Fr...

Is single or double action better for the kind of stuff you do?
Dead Presidents said:

I'm 99% sure it has a teflon packing. I use gravity fed airbrushes because I can use a tiny amount of paint. With siphon fed bottles it can become a pain when you start to run low (bottom of bottle) They both work fine. The eclipse your looking at has a .5 needle in it. Perfect for MK clear coat.

turboPISTOLA said:

Dead Presidents said:

turboPISTOLA said:

turbo- A double action is hugely recommended, and the one you linked happens to be excellent, and the kind that I am using, albeit a different model.  Double action allows for significantly better control and precision, and once you are past your first or second figure the ability to change spray thickness in real time becomes essential.  Like Walker said, double action and gravity fed are the way to go.  The one you posted the link to is the AR model Revolution, which has a weird paint feed.  I bought the C model, which features a nice sized cup and works flawlessly.  The Revolution does feature a Teflon packing, and is ready to spray MK out of the box.

Thanks Ben! You guys have been a great help, the one Im looking at getting is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iwata-DETAIL-MODELERS-HOBBY-SET-Revolution-CR-A...

but what is the can of air blast that comes with it? And what is the regulator for that comes with it? Also: how do i tell if one is single or double action, alot of the ebay listings dont say. Thanks!
Ben Mininberg said:

turbo- A double action is hugely recommended, and the one you linked happens to be excellent, and the kind that I am using, albeit a different model.  Double action allows for significantly better control and precision, and once you are past your first or second figure the ability to change spray thickness in real time becomes essential.  Like Walker said, double action and gravity fed are the way to go.  The one you posted the link to is the AR model Revolution, which has a weird paint feed.  I bought the C model, which features a nice sized cup and works flawlessly.  The Revolution does feature a Teflon packing, and is ready to spray MK out of the box.
The can of Blast is canned air, just like the stuff you use to get dust out of your computer.  Unfortunately you get about as much pressure control as canned dust remover air.  The canned air and regulator are OK for a spray gun for basecoats, but not for airbrushing.

Tue Revolution is a double action airbrush, so no worries there. Honestly I never look at eBay when buying my equipment.  I like to stick to reputable dealers with telephone numbers and customer service and accurate item descriptions, even if it costs a couple bucks more.  Trying to save cash on eBay when you are just starting out can just make things more complicated than they need to be.

turboPISTOLA said:

Thanks Ben! You guys have been a great help, the one Im looking at getting is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iwata-DETAIL-MODELERS-HOBBY-SET-Revolution-CR-A...

but what is the can of air blast that comes with it? And what is the regulator for that comes with it? Also: how do i tell if one is single or double action, alot of the ebay listings dont say. Thanks!
Ben Mininberg said:

Thanks Ben, Can you recommend me a dealer to buy my setup from?
I do shop around, but I almost always end up buying my equipment and supplies from Hobbylinc.com.  They are super nice and knowledgeable!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dead Presidents.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics