About

Welcome to the world wide headquarters for Monster Kolor. This interactive community is a place for all who are interested in the custom painting of toys of all kinds. Feel free to look around, but I encourage you to join in.

Members

Events

Share Us !

Featured Member

Groups

Sponsors

This has been a long time coming.

Several mk painters have had great success and some not so great success with masking while using mk. 

Over the next several days I'm going to post the materials I use and the techniques I use to do my masking with mk.

In the meantime, Feel free to share any tips or tricks you like to use for masking your toys.

Views: 571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hay guy's,

as i mentioned above, i am back to show off the last steps of my Mr. Sparkle paint techniques..... but as time grew short on completing these figures i got a bit lax in documenting my process

here is the only pix i managed to snap of the final steps:

as you can see i wasn't 100% happy with my original pink / purple spray so i took this opportunity to sand down and re spray EVERYTHING..... i know im crazy and didn't have to do it.... but if i was going to have to mask small areas to touch up mistakes in the first spray, then i might as well go the full 9 yards and make these suckers PERFECT.

here is how they turned out:

if you want to see more pix check out my thread in the showoff forum HERE:

http://monsterkolor.ning.com/forum/topics/mr-sparkle-custom-qee-s-m...

thanks for checking out my work, as always im super open to comments and critiques, so go ahead and really rip me a new one ;)

I saw a post of Mr. Sparkles on Spankey Stokes website, it blew me and my classmates minds to hell! Such awesome work Mikie! Also thanks for showing off your masking style, I usually do a crazy good job, or a total crap.

thanks I.P. im glad i could "Blow your mind" !

I am right there with you on the masking, if i dont do it 100% perfect he first time i will inevitably have to go back and do it all over again.... like i did on these customs.

it was a lot of extra work but looking a the final product im glad i did it

Where does that 3M tape come from? And what's it called? 

And what sort of factory? Are you painting toys? Or doing custom cars? Every trade has it's tools, but they're a bit of a secret to the rest of us.

The 3M tape is pretty available on the internet. I have a shop that custom paints toys of all,kinds for various makers both large and small.

Lizzy Claiborne said:

Where does that 3M tape come from? And what's it called? 

And what sort of factory? Are you painting toys? Or doing custom cars? Every trade has it's tools, but they're a bit of a secret to the rest of us.

Has anyone tried thin styrene formed to the toy with shapes cut before to make mask? I was reading a thing about shaping small styrene sheets the other day and thought this might work well when you had a bigger run of things to paint.Sort of how the factories make the metal mask. I wonder how MK would react to the styrene?

We have used this from time to time. The styrene turns into a "potato chip" after the 5th or so time you use it though.

Monster Kolor solvents melt styrene.

One alternative may be using "silly putty" as a formed mask. We use this method quite a bit for doing a run of toys that for example have a tricky eyeball that need to get masked up.

After we paint our colors we then peel off the silly putty and clear coat or what not.

Keep us posted.

Max Yax said:

Has anyone tried thin styrene formed to the toy with shapes cut before to make mask? I was reading a thing about shaping small styrene sheets the other day and thought this might work well when you had a bigger run of things to paint.Sort of how the factories make the metal mask. I wonder how MK would react to the styrene?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dead Presidents.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics