About

Welcome to the world wide headquarters for Monster Kolor. This interactive community is a place for all who are interested in the custom painting of toys of all kinds. Feel free to look around, but I encourage you to join in.

Members

Events

Share Us !

Featured Member

Groups

Sponsors

This thread is to act like a virtual party where everyone can get to know everyone. Ascii drinks and 300 dpi cheese cubes are served in abundance. More fun than an AA meeting.

So who are you? What brought you to the hobby? What part of the hobby do you partake in? Fave toys? Etc. Leave the egg shells at the door. If this thread stays alive, it could be a nice way to learn something you didn't know and generally make new friends. Potential, kids. Potential. Since I don't see any hands I'll start.

My name is Josh and I live in Kentucky. Right this very second I am listening to Type O Negative. I like battling my dog, Wolf and eating Thai food. I want to be a Kamen Rider when I grow up.

I've been 'into' toys since I was a kid. I grew up on Transformers and Voltron. I had a Bumblebee cake on my 4th birthday. I have an intense love of robot toys. Growing up, I tried to get a hold of anything robot related. Seriously. The only TMNT fig I owned was Metalhead because he was a robot. I had Robotech underwear when I was real young and I didn't even see Robotech until I was in High School. When Transformers died I graduated to Power Rangers and then back to TF when Beast Wars began airing.

Two particular events brought me to the Japanese scene. Before I graduated HS, my mom came back from a flea market with a robot lion toy. I had no idea what it was at the time. I just knew it wasn't voltron. Later on I did research and discovered it was the lion from Daltanious. This little bit of digging opened up a whole world of Chogokin/ Godaikin. The second event came about because someone on a TF board posted a link to the (new at the time) GaoGaiGar figures. I immediately fell in love with the designs and again with the research, discovered the sweet sweet satisfaction that is Yuusha or the Brave Robot series.

If robot toys are my foundation in this hobby, then Godzilla is the first floor. Another big part of my childhood was the big G. One of my favourite movies growing up was Godzilla VS Megalon. In the late 90's I was introduced to Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. Gamera has been my fave kaiju ever since. I even have a big plushie of the guy.

I have since grown to love kaiju of all shapes and found a deep appreciation for the 'modern vinyl' scene and its sub-groups. Bottom line, I love toys. And this love is what drives me to make figures of my own. Well more like 'try', but we all start somewhere. I don't have a specific focus as I am too ADD to decide on what I want to do. I want to hit it all; robots, kaiju, yokai, super heroes, everything.

With all that said, I look forward to this community growing and making new friends. I think what Matt Walker has here is something special and it'd be foolish not to get involved.

Views: 1006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, Walker pointed out that I never posted in here.

I grew up on G2 Transformers, the debut of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and all of the other imported shows that Power Rangers spawned the importation of, from Beetleborgs to VR Troopers, so robots have been my jam for as long as I can remember, along with seeing a couple of VHS Godzilla films with my uncle.  I always loved to make shit, and remember making robot figures out of square packing peanuts and rubber bands.  Somewhere along the lines I got interested in military stuff and 'real modeling', which then shifted into wargamining minis, starting with Mage Knight, and then into Battletech, Warhammer 40K, and Warmachine.  Eventually, I realized that I like the modeling part of minis much more than the gaming, so my hobby time shifted back around to Gundam and tank models.  About two years ago I discovered vinyl, starting with CM's Patlabor figures and then the wide world of kaiju, from modern,  to pachi, and classic.  From there I got interested in other 'designer toys', and you guys know the rest.  Right now I'm preparing to debut the first painted versions of my resin robot figure, and my painting is shifting back around to 'modeling' from learning airbrushing through kaiju work.

I used to make robots out of bobbers and pipe cleaners, with a monoeye drawn on the top bobber and various pen parts as interchangeable gun arms. I called them bobberbots. I had the same progression, moving into 40K, liking the universe and minis but ignoring the game, and then moving on to gunpla, eventually becoming the vintage obsessive that I am now.

So my name is Dan if you don't already know me... I was born and raised in Detroit where I currently reside. I work in Pediatrics and Cardiology when I'm not painting. I have a great gf who is, at this point, just shy of 3 months pregnant with our first child.

I started customizing munnys, dunnys, etc back in 2005. It wasn't till 2006/7 that I started to collect Kaiju. Back then I really go into the history of the figures, the sprays, colors, why things were done THAT WAY. Well I wanted to try it. I got a $30 airbrush, a couple cans of propellant, and some V-color when I ordered some toys from Kaiju Taro. Shortly after that I bought a real airbrush, compressor, and loads of paint. after lots and lots of trial and error, i still learn every time I go out to that garage to paint. I feel super humble that anyone would spend their hard earned money on my figures, and if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be doing it at all. Also with the flow of V-color from Japan blocked for good, and Matt coming up with Monster Kolor, I'd REALLY be done painting.

I don't know it all, but I use A LOT of this paint, so if you have any questions, or comments, feel free to contact me!

Hi there everybody my name is Butch Adams. I have been a fan of Japanese monsters and robots since I was a wee lad. I grew up watching Captain Cosmic in the 70's and on his afternoon show he played all of the greats, Spectreman, Ultraman, Space Giants and Johnny Socko I remember the day I got Great Mazinga at our local Longs drugstore, I was mesmerized by the colors on the box. I still have him and although he's missing a lot of parts, I still love that robot. I am a cartoonist and sculptor and at the moment I have been doing some resin pouring. I am currently working on my own Kaiju and I'm in the beginnings of locating a shop in Japan to produce it. Hopefully all of my planets will line up and everything will work out. I was excited to see the amazing colors available from Matt. I can't wait to get my first bunch of paint (two lucky bags on the way) to run through my iwata and onto some resin and vinyl. I also look forward to chatting with you all, you seem like a very down to earth and approachable bunch. Thanks for having me!
Thanks for sharing Butch. Looking forward to seeing your projects both Paint and Sculpt related.

Butch Adams said:
Hi there everybody my name is Butch Adams. I have been a fan of Japanese monsters and robots since I was a wee lad. I grew up watching Captain Cosmic in the 70's and on his afternoon show he played all of the greats, Spectreman, Ultraman, Space Giants and Johnny Socko I remember the day I got Great Mazinga at our local Longs drugstore, I was mesmerized by the colors on the box. I still have him and although he's missing a lot of parts, I still love that robot. I am a cartoonist and sculptor and at the moment I have been doing some resin pouring. I am currently working on my own Kaiju and I'm in the beginnings of locating a shop in Japan to produce it. Hopefully all of my planets will line up and everything will work out. I was excited to see the amazing colors available from Matt. I can't wait to get my first bunch of paint (two lucky bags on the way) to run through my iwata and onto some resin and vinyl. I also look forward to chatting with you all, you seem like a very down to earth and approachable bunch. Thanks for having me!

Hello, My name is nick "Detroit" martin. I am in love with the Neo- Kaiju stuff going on right now. I don't have any knowledge of the scenes roots other than Godzilla and Mothra. I was into powers rangers prolly much to late in life as well as a slew of other resurgent pop culture right now. TMNT all of Marvel's stuff and nothin beats the Bat. anyway I just bought my two first Kajui an they were normal run mini Eyezon the DP edition and the Mazeish and blue one. sorry I don't recall that one saying who designed the paint scheme. Anyway Like most things, I'm prolly not saying anything new to you'all but The toys i like and would like to one day add to my collection and one day learn to customize are Gargamel, Real x Head, Pop Soda, Super7,Bwana Spoons, Comet Debris(Koji Harmon) and most neo-kaiju folks working today. Max Toy is my Favorite so far for all the reasons you most likely already know! you guys have turned me onto Bullmark and Marmit. The nick name "Detroit"came from a ball cap i wore for thirteen months ending when the tigers won the one world series game me and wifey spent a grand per to go to. I don't watch baseball all that much anymore.  i have a two and a half yr old son. He is really the reason I came back to loving toys he loves to look at monsters with me. I'll be honest I hope to eventually get some resin under my nails Haven't made a good sculpt yet so still working that. I'm thirty yrs old with a wife and son i love toys of all sorts and Any music that isn't main stream and some that is. any questions ask I hope to get some wicked customs off you guys but i may have to save up for an airbrush setup. oh and they call my collar BLUE.

If any one knows where I can score a ten inch Eyezon hit me up. Mr. Walker I salute you your company and your Community. Much Respect.

Damn, this place is popping! I love it!
I'm a noob here. I live with my wife and our 3 daughters in Columbus, OH. I love cartoons & toys of the 80s but I've stopped collecting so that I can focus on making my own tabletop miniatures game called Kaiju Kaos. Some favorites include GI Joe, Star Wars, and Mechabot. Kaiju Kaos is sort of a bastardization of all things I love thrown into a game I've created using rules I (mostly) created. By trade I'm a stay-at-home Dad and soundtrack music composer but for the past year my game has been my priority right after my family.

I have a co-worker who also owns a game store. If you have anything you want to run by him lemme know. There is a tabletop game called monsterpocolypse that looked neat and is maybe in the same vein. It has died out as of late. You may want to check it out and see what worked and didn't so your system will be a success. Learn from their mistakes. Good luck man I would love to check it out when you are ready!

Bryan K Borgman said:

I'm a noob here. I live with my wife and our 3 daughters in Columbus, OH. I love cartoons & toys of the 80s but I've stopped collecting so that I can focus on making my own tabletop miniatures game called Kaiju Kaos. Some favorites include GI Joe, Star Wars, and Mechabot. Kaiju Kaos is sort of a bastardization of all things I love thrown into a game I've created using rules I (mostly) created. By trade I'm a stay-at-home Dad and soundtrack music composer but for the past year my game has been my priority right after my family.
Thanks. I have played many a game of MonPoc. It's a fun game and is being revamped to be nonp-collectible in nature. As a rule, games live and die due to their collectibilty. Some people buy'em just for the thrill of the hunt but never play while others really want to play but can't find or afford the pieces they want/need. Kaiju Kaos is non-collectible and it's a "true" hobby game where players have to build and paint their own pieces. It's also going to be compatible with toys. In fact, we regularly run an event called Clash of the Colossals that uses the 12" Godzilla, Gigan, and Mechagodzilla figs from a few yrs back. It's a lot of fun and a huge success at cons. Kaiju Kaos has it's own twitter feed - @kaijukaos and is on Facebook. I run them both. Eventually I will build a website at www.kaijukaos.com but with all my time already invested, web design is a huge chore for me so don't look for anything fancy.
Holy S*!t Bryan ! Let's supply the game with mini bottles of Monster Kolor ! Also if you don't know him already hit up Phil Reed he is president of a game company in Texas.
 Kaiju Kaos is non-collectible and it's a "true" hobby game where players have to build and paint their own pieces.
Bryan K Borgman said:
Thanks. I have played many a game of MonPoc. It's a fun game and is being revamped to be nonp-collectible in nature. As a rule, games live and die due to their collectibilty. Some people buy'em just for the thrill of the hunt but never play while others really want to play but can't find or afford the pieces they want/need. It's also going to be compatible with toys. In fact, we regularly run an event called Clash of the Colossals that uses the 12" Godzilla, Gigan, and Mechagodzilla figs from a few yrs back. It's a lot of fun and a huge success at cons. Kaiju Kaos has it's own twitter feed - @kaijukaos and is on Facebook. I run them both. Eventually I will build a website at www.kaijukaos.com but with all my time already invested, web design is a huge chore for me so don't look for anything fancy.

Mini bottles of Monster Kolor would be great!

I do know Phil Never met him in person but we were actually supposed to work on a project years ago that just never took off for me (I was going to provide a music soundtrack for NeoExodus).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dead Presidents.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics