About

Welcome to the world wide headquarters for Monster Kolor. This interactive community is a place for all who are interested in the custom painting of toys of all kinds. Feel free to look around, but I encourage you to join in.

Members

Events

Share Us !

Featured Member

Groups

Sponsors

Hey painters, can't wait till Matt pumps out some pin striping tutorials but till then, I would like to see some discussion on brush painting.

I have brushed a few simple things like eyes before but I want to start doing more! I want to paint teeth, claws and line work.

So what is the best tips for paint and brushes when working with vinyl? Also interested in "traditional" toy painting methods regarding brush work :)

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi. I purchased some Monster Kolor paints at Kidrobot here in New York. I am beginning to work with toys. I sprayed the background but want to create details with brushes. Been playing around with some small ones. The thing is that the paint dries very fast when I open the container, so I can only paint one small detail at the time. I am not sure if the paints are more for airbrush (which I am not sure I can use in a New York size apartment) but I was wondering if I should use a thinner to work with them. If so, what should I use? Any other advise?

Thanks.

Hi Rubio ,
Yes, you can use the thinner provided to palette into the paint. Example: dip brush into paint then palette it out onto a piece of card stock. Then dip your brush into the thinner and pallete into the paint. The apply to the toy. The paint is designed to dry fast. We have many painters working with it with great results. You came to the right place , we're all here to help you ;).

Thanks Matt. That really helped I am making progress.  I want to know if there's someone in the New York City area who has a studio or a place where I can get some lessons, improve what I am doing. I'd love to go and do some work so I can take my paint to the next level.  Anyone?  Let's talk please.

Man, I gotta get me some of those squirrel brushes D-Pres uses. Look pretty fun to use. And I can tell everyone I paint with squirrel hair, so you know my work is balling!

With oil paint I just wipe all the paint out of them, rinse them in a jar of thinner, and use Murphy's Oil Soap to literally wash them with water. It's a real soap, not a surfactant, (detergent) so it's full of oil. It's cheap - and if you crud up the brushes you can stand them up in the stuff, full strength for a few days and they'll clean like new. Non toxic too. And it comes from most supermarkets.

The big tip being- cruddy brushes. icky paint build up will happen sometimes, this takes that out of expensive brushes. Once they air dry back into solvents they go, just fine! When I'm doing a lot of easel painting they need a soap soak about every year, partially for cleaning, but the oils condition real bristles. They come out like new.

What's that brush oil? Mink or emu or some such? Can't be a vegetable oil as they dry. 

Dead Presidents said:

I always keep my brushes oiled with "brush oil" Everything I use is solvent based for brushing so this oil keeps the brush like new in between uses.

Hi Lizzie,

Thank you for explaining the brush soap. I have wondered about that stuff for some time.

The brush oil that I have pictured is a type of "Lard Oil" I come from pinstriping & hand lettering background. It works pretty much like this.

Clean out your brush with lacquer thinner. Then dunk your clean brush into the oil and squeeze out the majority of the oil.Store brush laying down with the bristles shaped the way they are made to.

I'll post a picture up of some of my brushes laying oiled up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Dead Presidents.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics