I've been working like a madman between school and two commissioned projects, but I also managed to finally get started on my Debris Japan painting contest being held by Restore, the maker, which I have to get done for submission before September 30th. The white vinyl blanks for the contest were (and I think still are) available through Lulubell Toys. The figure is based on traditional Japanese Oni demons, so I am running with that theme and making my own Oni in a very ‘realistic’ style. This photo shows my figure after being sprayed with Monster Kolor and then having the teeth and nails base color blocked in. The skin tone will end up with a matte finish on the final figure, but I leave it gloss while doing all my detail work so I can easily wipe off a mistake.
This is after doing some detail work, and with some of the accessories test fit in place (there are more that you can’t see). I made sure to keep the nails and teeth slightly different tones to differentiate them, and also had to freehand the border between the teeth and gums
Hey Jim, thanks for the feedback. The hair has some airbrushed highlights, but I have been considering adding in a wash as well... a lot of the shading on the figure is going to sit much better once it's matte coated. As for the horn and headpiece, they are going to get a little detail work, but stay glossy and metallic and be a part of his backstory.
Thanks for looking!
All done and submitted!
This Oni was born blind and hornless, and named Gikaku (フェイク鬼- ‘false Oni’). He was too embarrassing to keep after waiting so long for his birth, so a prosthetic horn (義角) was fused to his head and he was cast out. Now, Gikaku travels alone, appearing only in place of a person being expected. To see Gikaku is a terrible curse, and he is greatly feared. The fundoshi reads ‘Great curse (dai-kyō, 大凶)’ and ‘待人 (machibito) – a person being waited for’, based on Omikuji fortune terms.
I painted my Oni in a ‘realistic’ fashion as if it were a resin garage kit. All of the spray work was done with Monster Kolor, with the details done with acrylic brush work. Various accessories were scratchbuilt and attached, except for the medallions, which were found in the bottom of a bead display at the local hobby store